Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Come Right Away!

Yesterday, Jon called me up to tell me that he was excited/scared about our first night's sleep. It seems he had booked us somewhere wacky, but wouldn't tell me exactly what was up.

As we drove through Delaware, his excitement continued to grow--as did his nerves. Then, as he directed me into a driveway, I saw this sign:


I didn't understand why the Bewitched insignia was on the sign, but it's the first thing I noticed.

As we walked toward the office, Jon warned: "You can't laugh when you walk in!" I became terrified. When we entered, I saw this pile of crazy:


At first, I thought "What the hell is this place? And why is there Bewitched stuff all over theplaceohwaitaminute... How could this be?" It didn't seem possible... but I slowly realized that Jon had somehow found us a Bewitched-themed Bed & Breakfast in Rehoboth Beach. (This, by the way, is why Jon is the best ever.)

We checked in with a sweet woman named Inez who led us to the Dr. Bombay Suite...
...which is adorned with pictures (both autographed and not) of Bernard Fox:



Bernard Bejeweled!

Jon tried to get us into the Uncle Arthur room, but apparently "it is too narrow" for most people to enjoy. (Which sounds as though they might place you directly into Paul Lynde's casket. No thanks.)

As we toured the room, we were wowed by the sheer amount of insanity that surrounded us:


About ten seconds after arriving, Jon decided to pose in front of this Bombay sign:


...which (for some reason) he promptly removed from the wall. As he did this, the nail and bracket that were holding up this precious piece of painted wood both fell to the carpet. Jon instantly found the bracket, but the nail was AWOL. Terrified that Inez was going kick us out if she discovered that we desecrated her living shrine to Bernard Fox, we immediately created a search party. Between Jon and I, we explored every square inch of the room (all ten of them):

Alas, we couldn't find the nail... and we were screwed. We even tried paging Dr. Bombay himself using Samatha Stephens' trademark cry: "Dr. Bombay, Dr. Bombay! Come right away!" But alas, it did not seem to work. Out of options, we were all set to tell our hostess what had happened.

But just then, MamaRu called to tell us that I left my cell phone at their house in Dover (Because I'm retarded.) Jon got a brilliant idea! Since Mama & Papa Ru will be having breakfast with us in the morning, why not have them bring a nail! The plan is to replace it before Inez ever comes in. It's fool-proof. Right?

The once-mighty sign

I guess only time will tell if we'll be able to repair this loving tribute to Bernard Fox--the last surviving adult member of the cast of Bewitched. So if he perishes overnight, and Jon and I both vanish, please know that it is because his name was removed from the wall at this Bed & Breakfast in Rehoboth Beach.

Or maybe Inez just had us banished to the Uncle Arthur suite.

1 comment:

Lucia Pamela said...

I was writing a Uncle Arthur joke in my head the minute I read where you were staying. Foiled by Jeff again!

Also, I used to dress up and pretend I was Samantha's wicked twin cousin Serena when I was little. She had all the fun.